Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 34 and 35

Final Picture in Honduras
It was a busy morning for me as I had to finish packing, confirm hotels and the flight.  I also met with the lawyer at 10:00.  She gave me all the documents I will need for immigration.  These include the court documents, old and new birth certificate, and the adoption order.  I then used these to finish filling out the forms for Canadian Immigration.  We did visit the roof one more time before the lawyer came back at 2:00 and we headed for the airport.

At the airport, the lawyer took me to the immigration room.  The officer looked at all the adoption papers and our passports.  It only took a few moments.  Then we checked in, paid the airport tax and went through to the gate. 

The plane was 50 minutes late leaving.  It was a tiny plane, like a Dash 8.  Ricardo was excited and was no problem during the flight.  I did have to tell him to leave his selt belt on as he kept undoing it. 


Ricardo on his first flight

When we landed in Guatemala, they pulled all our luggage onto the ground and we had to walk a long, long way with it.  Luckily I only have a small amount of luggage.  I am glad I didn't have big suitcases.  Once through immigration we headed out and waited for our shuttle to the hotel.  By the time we got there and had dinner, it was nine so it was a late night for the kids.  And I was tired too. 


In Guatemala with our small amount of luggage

Day 35

Today was immigration day.  I set the alarm for 6:30 so we would have time for breakfast and then could be at the Canadian Consulate by 8:00.  Just before we headed for breakfast I read an email asking me to call my agency but she was not available.  So after breakfast I tried again.  Still no answer so we headed off at 8:30. 

We arrived at 9:00 and met the other Canadian family there.  They arrived on the weekend and had spent Monday getting the visas.   They told me to head downstairs first and start there.  So I headed down to the main office and explained what I wanted and ten minutes they said to head back up stairs to start the process.  I waited there only a few minutes and they gave me some new forms and an example of an international cheque that I needed to get.  They instructed me to go to the bank across the street.  I did this but the bank would not do the cheque so we walked a kilometer down the road to a bank that would do it.  When we were back, the immigration officer came out and I gave her all my documents.  She told me she would call in the morning and I could go and bring the other forms back tomorrow.  

It was now lunch and the kids were tired.  I looked across the street and saw this in the mall. 


Ali and Ricardo are on the top so they are hard to see

Dinosaur at the Mall
So the kids had a ride and then we strolled around and got some lunch before heading back to the hotel.  Then I did what I have been doing for days.....tired to arrange all the flights home.  The travel agent was working on the last one from Toronto to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.  However, the fare had gone up and it was going to cost me 1,200 more then expected.  So I discussed with my parents flying to Vancouver and then taking a bus and a ferry.  This will only add 5 hours to the trip that is going to take 3 days - Costa Rica, overnight, Toronto, overnight and then to Vancouver.  So my Mother spent the morning with the travel agent and they got the cost down by almost half with one option flying to the island.  I decided that it was worth taking the more expensive option - 160 more to fly to the island and save the five hours of time.  So now the flights are settled. 

Then it was a long discussion with the agency about immigration.  All I can say is that I am so thankful for Skype!  At least through all of this I could talk to agency when need and with my parents for hours when things were rough. 

Finally, we headed to the pool for a few hours and then dinner and bed.  We are all tired.  Tomorrow, I will wait for a call from immigration.  I am going to sleep with my fingers crossed that we get the visa!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos! The kids look so happy. Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. Our embassy staff will hopefully make things as smooth and as quick as possible. When do you leave Guatemala?

    ReplyDelete
  2. crossing my fingers and praying for you too!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete