Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 23

So today was supposed to be the big day. We got up and got ready and caught a taxi just after 9.  We were at IHNFA in 10 minutes and I sat and waited in the lobby for the other family and the lawyer.  At 9:55 the lawyer and the other family were not there and I began to wonder if I was at the right place.  Then at 10 my lawyer arrived.  She tried to explain something about signatures and that the person who was needed was not there and then she just said "We are not signing today maybe Tuesday."  Yup, MAYBE Tuesday which means probably Thursday but more likely some unknown date in the future.  I just sat there and she asked if I would like to go somewhere.  So we went to the mall, had a snack and then came back to the hotel. 

I had to call my agency to get clarification on just what went wrong today since the lawyer's english can be hard to understand.  She explained that the person who was supposed to sign today did not have the authority to sign our papers but some other person has to do it and they are away.  Of course the lawyer has to wait to get an appointment with this person because they are away and then Monday is a holiday (The holiday yesterday was moved to Monday at the last moment!).  I have no idea how many weeks it will take to get an appointment with this other person. 

I have moved beyond anger and beyond tears.  I now know that I could be here for months.  There is nothing I can do.  Of course if it goes on too long I will have to leave as I can't afford to live in a hotel and I have to think of Ali who spent two days crying because she is home sick.  There seems to be no end to the delays in getting this signature.  It should have been done within days of signing the temporary custody papers.  That happened over two weeks ago. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon cancelling my flights home and trying to find somewhere else to stay.  I really need a kitchen now that I will be here indefinately.  So tomorrow I am moving to the Humuya Inn, no pool but a kitchen.  To entertain the kids I am going to get more structure to our days.  The first fews weeks were like a holiday in that we spent all our time at the pool or at the beach.  Now I need to refocus our lives like we were at home.  I am going to spend the mornings getting the kids to do school work, Ali can do some French on the computer and I will work with Ricardo on numbers and colours etc in English.  In the afternoons we will go to a mall or play on the roof top patio.  I need to get serious with the school work for both of them or they will both loose this year at school.   

4 comments:

  1. Heartbroken for you, Wendy. Like you, we were so hopeful that yesterday was indeed The Day...so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    I think of you all the time. It is so hard knowing what to do when your hands are tied. Remember to love on your kids constantly. Its so hard to do sometimes when the problems there in Honduras can be so taxing. I wish we could have been there together. Our kids would have gotten along so well and helped pass the time together at the hotel. Make sure your lawyer knows that you might have to leave. She can pass the word along and maybe, just maybe that would help get an appointment sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wendy....please know that your Honduran adoption sisters are lifting you, Ali and Ricardo up in prayer!!! The insanity of these snafus never cease, but we are all there with you in spirit...wish there were more we could do....you are NOT alone!!! Just a little while longer....worth the wait, Wendy!!!!
    Hugs,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to read this. I'm so upset for you!! I was thinking about you all day yesterday and couldn't wait to read that you had that signature! I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Know that there are many people in "cyberworld" thinking of you and your kids. Make sure your agency is putting some serious pressure on that office to get you the appointment sooner rather than later! We're all here for you!!

    ReplyDelete