Monday, June 27, 2011

Trouble with file

I got an email today from the agency saying that the judge that has been assigned to my case wants some updated documents.  First, they want a new medical.  The medicals are only valid for six months and mine was one year old.  Sometimes they do not worry about this but in this case they want a new medical and lab tests (blood panel, HIV, HEP and urine).  Second, they want a new reference letter.  For Honduran adoptions the reference letters have to come from very specific people.  They need to be on letterheads from churches, governments or community centres.  It is often the case that people don't know anyone that fits the categories.  My agency told me that the references did not have to know you well, they just need to know who you are and be able to provide some observations on your character.  I happened know some people who fit the categories above who knew me through work or in some other causal way.  However, for the first time since my agency has been doing adoptions from Honduras, the judge wants to see another reference from someone who knows me better.  I spent a full hour on the phone with my agency, on a Saturday afternoon, trying to think of someone who knows me well that would fit the bill.  I know some people who work in community centres but we work for the same organization and their letterhead would be the same as my employment letter.  In the end, my agency said that this would be fine. 

So now I have a new reference letter and a doctor's appointment tomorrow.  What I am really wondering is how much is this going to delay my file because while it will take time to get my medical and blood work then both documents have to go through the long journey that my dossier took.  The documents have to be notarized, sent to the Honduran consulate, sent to the Min of Foreign Affairs (MFA), sent to Honduras, translated and then sent the the MFA in Honduras.  This could take forever.  I am just praying that the papers can be rushed through. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just now saw your writing about the trip in Honduras. I am very happy for you it seems this was a nice meeting. Great everything went well. All my thinkings for you and your boy, I really hope you can go back in September to bring him home. Is Ali happy to have a brother?
    All the best and luck Reg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reg,

    I just tried to post a comment on your blog but blogger won't let me. I have been having problems posting on my own blog also.

    Wonderful photos on your blog! Your son is so handsome and your daughter is a real cutie. Also nice to see a photo of you to put a face to your name.

    Thanks for all the comments on my blog. Ali is looking forward to her brother coming but some days she is worried because she will have to share me with him. I am sure she will be happy once she meets him and sees how fun it is to have a brother.

    Wendy

    For some reason I can't post using my blogger ID.

    July 8, 2011 6:45 AM

    ReplyDelete