Monday, June 20, 2011

Heading Home

Today I leave for home.  I fly out at 11:45 and will arrive in Victoria at 11:45 pm. 

This trip was much better then I expected.  I was really nervous but everything went so well.  The staff at IHNFA were very nice and the interviews and tests were not as bad as I was thought they would be.  The lawyer was very helpful and went out of her way to make sure I was OK.  The foster mother was also very nice and did what she could to help him to get to know me.  And he was...perfect.  I am so happy it has gone so well. 

And I made out fine on my own.  I was worried about my safety after warnings from my agency and things I read but I made out fine.  I didn't go out in Tegucigalpa and in San Pedro Sula I used the taxi that the lawyer said to use.  The malls and grocery stores are safe and often have banks if you need to change money.  Even at the amusement park I was fine.  I kept my bag close to me and my eyes open and I was OK. 

My Spanish is not very good but I made out with the few words that I did have.  The first few days when my mind was full of adoption worries (interviews, meeting him) I couldn't think about Spanish at all.  My mind was just blank.  But by the time I got to the last day, my words were starting to come back and I was happy I had spent some time over the last few months learning the language.  However, I really need to learn a lot more so I will have to launch into full out studying when I get back. 

So when will I go back to pick up my son?  Well, my agency said three months from the date my file was registered with the courts.  And the lawyer says between two and three months.  I have heard of other cases that are taking in excess of three months.  The lawyer said that this was rare and I would not be this long.  So I am going to go with the three month date.  This seems safe.  It will be a long wait for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment