Monday, June 13, 2011

Leaving Today

It's finally here.  I am leaving today flying from Victoria to Seattle then to Houston and then Tegucigalpa.  I leave from Victoria at 7:00 pm and arrive in Honduras at 11:00 tomorrow.  I am nervous and excited at the same time.

This will be the first of two trips required for a Honduran adoption.  On this first trip I will be interviewed and tested at the Instituto Hondureño de la Niñez y la Familia (IHNFA).  The results these tests will be compiled by a social worker and will be submitted by IHNFA to the family court.  My lawyer will also submit my file to the court and this will start the process of obtaining a court order to make me the legal parent.  This will take around three months. 

Once this is done I will travel from the capital Tegucigalpa to San Pedro Sula where my son is.  There I will meet him and spend a few days getting to know him and his foster family. 

On the second trip will gain custody of my son and then wait for a new birth certificate, passport and for the immigration process.  I will be in the country for a month. 

For this trip my I was asked to bring a photo book of our life in Canada.  I didn't have a lot of time to get this done and my agency said not to spend a lot of time making it fancy.  They suggested one of those small free photo books.  My friend Monica helped out by writing out comments in Spanish so his foster mother could tell him what each picture is.


I included pictures of......

                          My family - individual and group shots, dog included
                          Our house - most of the rooms and the back and front yards
                          Our neighbourhood - the school he will attend, beaches, playgrounds.  I also added
                                                            some pictures of Ali playing in the snow. 

I also brought along a few small toys.  I didn't bring clothes as I don't know his size but I will take him on a shopping trip while I am there and he can pick out some clothes that he likes. 

I hope this trip goes well.  I have waited so long for this moment.
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment