Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fifth Day

A view of the street
Today was fiesta day.  I was asked on our first meeting with the foster mother if I could spend Sunday at her home to take part in a fiesta for one of the other foster kids birthdays.  Of course I said yes and was looking forward to spending a day in his home. 

The day was fantastic.  I met all the family, friends and other foster families.  I got to see the neighbours and life in their home as it is each day. 

The best part was spending lots of time with him in a setting that was comfortable and familiar.  I spent loads of time playing with him and the other kids on the floor.  Other times I just watched as he played with the other kids.  I could be in his space without over whelming him.  It worked so well. 

The last part of the day was the fiesta.  Food was a typical Honduran meal with beef, cheese, beans, some vegetables and pita bread.  Then it was pinata time which was a hoot for the kids.  By the time we had the cake the taxi was at the door and it was time to go.  The day just flew by.  It was sad to say goodbye and he ran and hid when I finally went to the taxi.

Getting Ready

Pinata time

A Rush for the Treats
I just can't imagine how hard it is for him.  He asked all the time "When are we going to your house?"  The foster mother has been telling him for a year that he would be getting a new family and then I come and leave.  He didn't seem to understand that I couldn't take him now but would be back.  I do have the family's email address and will keep in touch.  I pray that there will be no delays and I will be back by September.

No comments:

Post a Comment