Thursday, July 29, 2010

Up, up, up and more up.

View from the start
Although I might complain alot about my job I do get some perks, like hiking and getting paid for it.  I have done two hikes in the past month and then a huge hike today to the top of Mount Arrowsmith.  It is a difficult hike, lots of scrambling and straight, straight up.  The down part, in my opinion, is worse.  You spend two plus hours trying to stop yourself from tumbling down the steep slope. 

Great day all round though.  The view from the top is worth all the work.  There are spectacular views of the island mountains, the towns below and across the straight to the mainland.  And we were visited by a helicopter who buzzed over our heads. 

At the top!
We were planning another hike on Aug 7th to a smaller side mountain but the logging roads are being locked tomorrow due to fire risk.  It is a 30k ride in on logging roads before you start the hike.  I guess we will have to wait til Sept. This should give me some time to rest up my legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment