Sunday, November 13, 2011

Monica

The first week home, I introduced Ricardo to Monica.  Monica is from Mexico and, of course, she can speak Spanish.  She chatted with him about Canada and what he was feeling.  One thing that was confirmed is that he doesn't want to speak English.  I think because it is all he has left from his other life.  Everything was taken from him and all that is left is Spanish.  He told us that he misses home especially the other foster kids.  This also explains the crying spells.  They have been short but they come out of no where.  All of a sudden he cries. They happen when I turn my back for a second so I am not sure if something happened. I thought it was home sickness but I had Monica confirm that it wasn't something else.  Did he hurt himself or did I do something to upset him? Monica confirmed that he wasn't hurt. He said that he doesn't know why he cries. When she said that I knew it is because he misses Honduras. He has to grieve for what he has lost. I am sure all of a sudden he thinks of something and the tears come. She also confirmed with him that he knew that he was in Canada to stay and that this was his family forever. He knew this but of course he misses his other family. Monica asked him what he liked best about Canada and he said "the toys".  She asked him what he thought of the cold weather and he said "No problem, you just put a coat on". 

I am glad to have Monica and her family.  Ricardo gets really happy when ever I mention Monica's name.  I am sure she provides comfort because she speaks Spanish.  This week Ricardo started swimming lessons with Monica (she is a swim instructor at our local pool).  He loves the pool and he will get to spend time with Monica. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Wendy! When you said that Ricardo doesn't know why he cries my heart just goes out to all of you, especially him. It makes me just want to pick him up, hold him and hug him. What a lot for such a little guy to grieve! So many changes! But yet so many fun and exciting new experiences: the movies, bowling! His little head must be wondering about life in Canada! Monica sounds like a wonderful friend and what a great person for Ricardo to have in his life. Ricardo is so lucky to have you and Ali and like you say, he has to grieve, but he will adjust and is so blessed and fortunate to have you and Ali in his life. Even though we've never met, please wish Ali a Happy Belated Birthday from me. Her party sounds awesome. Thanks for the idea on that one. I will file it away for future use.

    ReplyDelete