Thursday, July 14, 2011

Am I done?

I am hoping that I am done with paperwork for a while.  I seem to have spent a lot of time, energy and money over the last three weeks trying to get all these documents completed and sent off.  Of course, it has been made worse by the mistake my agency made with the documents for Honduras.  The mistake they made was over the notarization.  Usually, they do all of the notarizing but due to a postal strike and a lapsed licence, they couldn't do it.  So that is why the papers were sent back to me.  I recieved them on Monday and after phoning most of the notaries in town, I got an appointment.  However, they didn't know what they were supposed to do.  They kept saying that it was not possible to notarize an original.  Of course it was now 4:00 BC time and 7:00 Ontario time so I couldn't call to get clarification on what I needed.  I made another appointment for the next afternoon. 

I was in meetings Tuesday morning and had my head totally immersed in discussion about work items which was a relief after spending Monday night researching notarization and finding out that there is a different notary system between here and Ontario although I am not sure how this affected me.  Of course I also emailed my agency Monday night but there was still no answer by noon Tuesday.  I emailed again and finally at 1:00 they contacted me and said that the problem was solved, please send the papers back.  By 4:00, I was back at the courier office.  The papers arrived there today. 

Between all this I have been scanning documents to my BC Agency.  They need copies of everything that I send to the Ontario agency.  Actually, I am supposed to send it to them first and they send it to TDH.  However, since things happened so quickly and documents were needed in a rush, I just sent them straight to Ontario.  I have one of those printers that scans one page at a time, which means it takes a long time to do many pages of acceptance letters, medicals, reference letters.  Half way through I actually wondered if it would be smart to by one of those giant printer/scanner/stapling/multitasking units like we have at work.  It would have made things much easier!
Wednesday night I continued with paperwork this time filling out passport forms for my daughter.  Her passport expires in December and I want to bring her with me to Honduras.  Honduras requires that your passport is valid for six months when you enter so I need to get her a new one.  I am heading to the office in Victoria tomorrow to so we will get the document well ahead of time. 

Then, I decided to do the last thing on my list.  Print off the stage two immigration forms, the forms for Canadian citizenship.  I don't think I need these until I am in Honduras but at least they are ready to go. 

So, I now hope I am done for a few weeks.  There may be a few more bits of paper in the coming weeks but the worst of it should be done...I hope.  The sad thing is that all this focus on paperwork has left me little time to learn more Spanish.  This will now be my priority........behind painting his bedroom....orange of course, his favourite colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment