Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Almost last but not quite

My Mom and I ran the Log Train Trail Half Marathon on Sunday.  We have been planning to run this for months.  I was all keen to do another half a few months back.  I was convinced that I would run more and work harder to get into good shape.  Well, it didn't quiet work that way and I barely squeezed enough runs in to complete this event.  A few days before the run I was wishing I had never signed up for the event but since I was running it with my mother, I didn't want to let her down.  It was a good thing that we were running slow as I would have been toast otherwise. 

Before the start
The Log Train Trail Run is a non competitive fun event with no age group prizes, no timing and even the distance may not be completely accurate.  We got a sense of this out on the course when one person would say "It's only three kilometers to the finish" and the next person 10 minutes along would say "It's only four kilometers to the finish".  We saw a sign near the end that said 20k so we thought we were almost done so we ran and ran and finally came to a water stop where they told us we had just reached the 20k mark!  A little hard to take near the end but we weren't worried as we were just there to have fun. 


All done with our silver rail spikes and my door prize.
We finished in 2 hours and 35 minutes, the longest half marathon I have ever done by a long shot.  My mother said it was because it was a trail run and the uneven surface makes you run slower.  This is true but I put it down to lack of training on my part. Plus I had planned to just enjoy running with my Mother.  So we had fun and chatted the whole time.  We laughed at one point because we thought we were going to be last and we didn't care.  We each received a silver rail spike for finishing and I won a water bottle.  On the drive home we discussed doing this run again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment