Thursday, November 11, 2010

Up in a swing



This is Ali on a bamboo swing.  I have been waiting for years to see these swings which are only put up during the Dashain and Tihar holidays.  As we travelled around Kathmandu and Chitwan we saw these swings in empty fields, in school yards or along side the road.  Once the holidays are over the swings are removed.  It wasn't until we were in Pokara that we had a chance to try a swing out.  I spent the time taking pictures while Ali and a friend Sunita had a go.  But I really wanted to try it out so a few days later I visited the site again only to find out that the swing was much harder then it looked.  First, I discovered that the swing is high, well at least for me.  The swing was level with my shoulder blades.  But with a lot of pulling and jumping, I got on.  Then there was a new problem.  I discovered that tall swings with long heavy ropes are extremely difficult to move especially when your feet can't touch the ground.  No amount leg pumping and arm pulling was going to make that swing move.  Fortunately, help was on the way.  From way across the field a girl of about 10 saw me struggling and came running to push me.  Finally, I got to go up in the air and down on a bamboo swing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment